Saturday, March 15, 2014

Homemade Saints Calendar

After reading about Our Saints and Feasts Sticker Album from Jessica at Shower of Roses

I loved the idea for our family! These stickers are based on the Traditional  calendar, according to the 1962 Roman Missal; however, many of the feast days are the same as the Novus Ordo liturgical calendar.  We follow both liturgical calendars, so it was okay with me.  For anyone following only the Novus Ordo calendar, you could use this as a way to teach your kids about the saints no longer listed on the new calendar as well; included with the stickers is a booklet with a small biography of each saint, which is very useful for those lesser known saints.  The album comes with a full-color sticker with the name of the saint and the date of their feast day.  There is a separate page for each month.  In addition there are stickers for special days, such as Good Friday and Ash Wednesday.



When I began planning this for our family, I decided I wanted to make a calendar that was less expensive than the magnetic calendars in the store, and I think I accomplished that.  This calendar was so simple to make too.

Supplies Needed:
  • Sticker Album
  • Metal Cookie Sheet
  • Magnetic Tape
  • Permanent Marker
  • Drill with around a 3/8" bit
  • Ribbon
  • Other religious images (optional)

To create my calendar, I began with a cookie sheet that I bought at the dollar store.  Their cookie sheets are a little smaller than normal, but I couldn't beat the price.  On the cookie sheet I drew the calendar grid with a permanent marker and labeled the days of the week.  (If you notice, my calendar grid is actually one week too short for March, since March began late in the week this year.  That is why I have March 30 and March 31 in the top left corner.  It didn't really bother me, but I just wanted to point it out to you in case you decide to make this.  Remember to add an extra row of weeks.)  After drawing my grid, I had my husband drill a hole in the top center of the pan, and I threaded a piece of ribbon through it.  I decided it would be really cute to use a ribbon that is the color of the corresponding Church season and change it as the season changes.

 For the saint magnets I simply attached each sticker and the corresponding name and date label to a piece of magnetic tape.  I cut the tape after attaching to ensure I always had the correct size.  I also created a magnet from the month label and created my own month dedication magnet.  For example, March is dedicated to St. Joseph, so I made a magnet labeled St. Joseph and placed it under the month.  For the pictures of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, I took images I  already had and attached magnets. Those images are not part of the sticker album.

Now each month I simply change out the magnets for the correct month.  I store the previous month's magnets in ziploc bags.  I love that nothing is permanent, so when certain days, like Ash Wednesday, change dates, I can simply place the magnet in the correct spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!