Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Miraculous Novena of Grace to St. Francis Xavier (begins November 25)

***With Advent nearly upon us, I wanted to provide you with the links of past Advent-related posts.  You can easily find all of the Advent prayers so far posted by going to my Advent page here.  However, I will also list them individually, in case you are looking for one in particular, and I plan to add to the Advent prayers this coming season.
  • One of my favorite Advent devotions is the St. Andrew Novena, which begins November 30 and extends throughout Advent.
  • The Christmas Rose Novena is another beautiful Advent devotion.
  • Another favorite devotion for our family this time of year is the O Antiphons.
I pray these Advent devotions help you and your family have a very blessed, holy season of Advent.
+               +               +

The Miraculous Novena of Grace was revealed by St. Francis Xavier to Fr. Marcello Mastrilli, S.J.
The priest, having received a severe head injury, was nearing death, but in December of 1633, St. Francis Xavier appeared to Fr. Marcello, requesting that the priest renew a vow to work for souls in Japan. He then told Fr. Mastrilli,

"All those who implore my help daily for nine consecutive days, from the 4th to the 12th of March included, and worthily receive the Sacraments of Penance and the Holy Eucharist on one of the nine days, will experience my protection and may hope with entire assurance to obtain from God any grace they ask for the good of their souls and the glory of God."

Instantly Fr. Mastrilli's health was fully restored, and he worked to spread the devotion.  This devotion to St. Francis proved so fruitful it became known as the Novena of Grace. While the recitation of the devotion was originally March 4-12, the latter being the date of St.Francis' canonization, the efficacy of the novena is not limited to these days; rather it is also fitting to pray the novena in preparation for the saint's feast day. In that case the novena would be prayed from November 25 through December 3, the Feast of St. Francis Xavier.

The Miracles of St. Francis Xavier by Rubens

Miraculous Novena of Grace to Saint Francis Xavier
Most amiable and most loving St. Francis Xavier, in union with thee I reverently adore the divine Majesty. I rejoice exceedingly on account of the marvelous gifts which God bestowed upon thee. I thank God for the special graces He gave thee during thy life on earth and for the great glory that came to thee after thy death. I implore thee to obtain for me, through thy powerful intercession, the greatest of all blessings-that of living and dying in the state of grace. I also beg of thee to secure for me the special favor I ask in this novena. (Here you may mention the grace, spiritual or temporal, you wish to obtain).

In asking this favor I am fully resigned to the divine will. I pray and desire only to obtain that which is conducive to the greater glory of God and the good of my soul.
V. Pray for us, St. Francis Xavier.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. O God, Who didst vouchsafe, by the preaching and miracles of St. Francis Xavier, to join unto Thy Church the nation of the Indies; grant, we beseech Thee, that we who reverence his glorious merits, may also imitate his example, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

**Recite 3 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Marys, in remembrance of St. Francis' devotion to the Holy Trinity, and Glory Be 10 times, in thanksgiving for the graces received during the ten years of his apostleship.

+               +               +              +               +

St. Francis Xavier's Hymn of Love

O Deus, ego amo Te!
Nec amo Te ut salves me,
Aut quia non amantes Te,
Aeterno punis igne:

Tu, tu, mi Jesu, totum me
Amplexus es in cruce.
Tulisti clavos, lanceam
Multamque ignominiam.

Innumeros dolores,
Sudores et angores,
Ac mortem: et haec propter me,
Ac pro me peccatore!

Cur igitur non amem Te,
O Jesu amantissime?
Non ut in coelo salves me,
Aut ne aeternum damnes me,
Nec praemii ullius spe;
Sed sicut Tu amasti me.

Sic amo et amabo Te,
Solum quia Tex meus es,
Et solum quia Deus es.

O God I love Thee for Thyself
And not that I may heaven gain,
Nor because those who love The not,
Must suffer hell's eternal pain.

Thou, O my Jesus! Thou didst me
Upon the cross embrace;
For me didst bear the nails and spear
And manifold disgrace;

And griefs and torments numberless,
And sweat of agony;
E'en death itself—and all for one
Who was Thine enemy.

Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ,
Should I not love Thee well:
Nor for the sake of winning heaven,
Or of escaping hell;
Not with the hope of gaining aught,
not seeking a reward;
But as Thyself hast loved me,
O ever-loving Lord?

E'en so I love Thee, and will love,
and in Thy praise will sing;
Solely because Thou art my God
And my eternal King.


Praying you have a blessed Thanksgiving, and God bless!
+JMJ+


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!