Tuesday, May 17, 2016

On the Feast of the Most Blessed Trinity

As a Catholic we begin our life as a child of God "in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit;" in this same Name we also end our lives on earth, with the hope of attaining the vision of our beloved Triune God.  
+
The Feast of Trinity Sunday found its origins during the time of the Arian heresy in the fourth century.  Arius denied Christ's divinity, and therefore, he also denied the Trinity--that there are three Person in one God.  The doctrine of the Trinity was upheld during the Council of Nicea, from whence comes the Nicene Creed.  Other Church Fathers continued fighting the Arian heresy by writing prayers and hymns as part of the Divine Office in honor of the the Blessed Trinity.  Eventually a version of these prayers were recited on the Sunday after Pentecost Sunday, and in the fourteenth century Pope John XXII made the Feast of Trinity Sunday a universal feast within the Church.
+
The prayer below is fitting to recite on Trinity Sunday, providing us an act of adoration and thanksgiving to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  May we pause on this great feast of God and bring to mind the great blessings, graces, and love we have received, although unworthy, from the most Blessed Trinity.  May we be mindful of the goodness, mercy, and power of God and seek to praise Him-- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--through each moment of our lives, in imitation of our most Blessed Mother.  

"Hail Mary, daughter of God the Father!  Hail Mary, Mother of God the Son!  Hail Mary, Spouse of God the Holy Spirit!  Greater than you--no one but God!"  --The Way


Act of Adoration to the Most Blessed Trinity
I adore Thee, O God, I count myself as nothing before Thy divine Majesty.  Thou alone art Being, Life, Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.  I glorify Thee, I praise Thee, I give Thee thanks, and I love Thee, all helpless and unworthy as I am, in union with Thy dear Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and our Brother, in the merciful kindness of His Heart and through His infinite merits.  I desire to serve Thee, to please Thee, to obey Thee, and to love Thee always, in union with Mary Immaculate, Mother of God and our Mother, loving also and serving my neighbor for the love of Thee.
Wherefore give me Thy Holy Spirit, to enlighten me, to correct me, and to guide me in the way of Thy commandments and in all perfection, the while I look for the happiness of heaven, where we shall glorify Thee for ever and ever.  Amen.  


Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us!
***You can find an additional prayer for Trinity Sunday here.

God bless!
+JMJ+

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!