Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Novena to our Guardian Angel


"Our guardian angels are our most faithful friends, because they are with us day and night, always and everywhere. We ought often to invoke them." -- St. John Vianney

Holy Mother Church thanks God for our blessed Guardian Angels and honors them by celebrating their feast on October 2.  How often do we go about our day without a thought to these heavenly helpers?  Out of His great love for us, the Heavenly Father saw fit to provide each of us with one of His angelic beings as our guide, our protector, and our help to gain heaven.  These beings, so holy and powerful in His sight, remain always at our side, not only protecting us from physical perils but also from dangers to our souls.
+
May we daily remember these heavenly friends, thanking them and listening to their promptings as we journey with them to our heavenly goal.  May we especially honor them on their feast, that of the Holy Guardian Angels.  In the following prayer, which is to be recited as a novena, we thank our blessed Guardian Angels and ask for their continual help until we reach Heaven.  It would be most fitting to recite this prayer nine days before their feast (sorry I posted too late for that but it would be wonderful to pray anyway around the time of their feast), beginning on September 23 and ending on October 1, the eve of this feast day.
+
The following novena is also one way to pray for the Souls in Purgatory since, in it, we ask our heavenly angels to seek relief for the Poor Souls in Purgatory.  This would make a most suitable novena to pray for the poor souls, beginning on  October 24 and ending on November 1, the day prior to the feast of the Holy  Souls.  As Saint John Vianney says of the act of helping the poor souls,
“Consider then...the magnitude of these sufferings which the souls in Purgatory endure; and the means which we have of mitigating them: our prayers, our good works, and, above all, the holy sacrifice of the Mass.”


Novena to our Guardian Angel for the Holy Souls

O holy Angel, whom God, by the effect of His goodness and His tender regard for my welfare, has charged with the care of my conduct, and who assists me in all my wants and comforts me in all my afflictions, who supports me when I am discouraged and continually obtains for me new favors, I return thee profound thanks, and I earnestly beseech thee, O most amiable protector, to continue thy charitable care and defense of me against the malignant attacks of all my enemies. Keep me away from all occasions of sin. Obtain for me the grace of listening attentively to thy holy inspirations and of faithfully putting them into practice.

In particular, I implore thee to obtain for me the relief and deliverance of all the Souls in Purgatory, the ones who prayed for the Souls themselves while still on earth; the forgotten and abandoned Souls; the souls of my relatives and friends; the souls of priests and religious; the souls of all those to whom I am obligated by charity to pray for and may have neglected by laxity in memory; and most especially for the Soul I here name in this novena. (Mention or think of the person.)

Protect me in all the temptations and trials of this life. but most especially at the hour of my death, and do not leave me until thou hast conducted me into the presence of my Creator in the mansions of everlasting happiness. Amen.


"Brethren, we will love God's angels with a most affectionate love; for they will be our heavenly co-heirs some day, these spirits who now are sent by the Father to be our protectors and our guides. With such bodyguards, what are we to fear? They can neither be subdued nor deceived; nor is there any possibility at all that they should go astray who are to guard us in all our ways. They are trustworthy, they are intelligent, they are strong — why, then, do we tremble? We need only to follow them, remain close to them, and we will dwell in the protection of the Most High God. So as often as you sense the approach of any grave temptation or some crushing sorrow hangs over you, invoke your protector, your leader, your helper in every situation. Call out to him and say: Lord, save us, we are perishing." --St. Bernard Clairvaux


God bless!
+JMJ+



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!