Friday, November 2, 2018

Prayer to One's Guardian Angel for a Happy Hour of Death

Holy Mother Church honors St. Charles Borromeo on November 4.  St. Charles Borromeo was born into a rich family and the nephew of Pope Pius IV.  At the age of 23, he was ordained a Cardinal and was made Archbishop of Milan.  St. Charles worked tirelessly for Holy Mother Church.  During the Black Plague, believing it was a punishment for sin in the world, he walked the streets barefoot, wearing a rope around his neck for penance for sin and humility for himself.  He tried to feed 60-70,000 people a day inflicted with the plague.  St. Charles worked diligently fighting heresy throughout his life, always defending Holy Mother Church, although this caused many to dislike him.  A few times people even attempted to assassinate the saint. 

The prayer below, written by St. Charles Borromeo, illustrates his focus on serving God at every moment, even the moment of His death.  We would do well to imitate this great saint, imploring our Angel's help to prepare for that hour of our death.


Recommendation to One's Guardian Angel for a Happy Hour of Death

My good Angel: I know not when or how I shall die. It is possible I may be carried off suddenly, and that before my last sigh I may be deprived of all intelligence. Yet how many things I would wish to say to God on the threshold of eternity. In the full freedom of my will today, I come to charge you to speak for me at that fearful moment. You will say to Him, then, O my good Angel:

That I wish to die in the Roman Catholic Apostolic Church in which all the saints since Jesus Christ have died, and out of which there is no salvation.

That I ask the grace of sharing in the infinite merits of my Redeemer and that I desire to die in pressing to my lips the cross that was bathed in His Blood!

That I detest my sins because they displease Him, and that I pardon through love of Him all my enemies as I wish myself to be pardoned.

That I die willingly because He orders it and that I throw myself with confidence into His adorable Heart awaiting all His Mercy.

That in my inexpressible desire to go to Heaven I am disposed to suffer everything it may please His sovereign Justice to inflict on me.

That I love Him before all things, above all things and for His own sake; that I wish and hope to love Him with the Elect, His Angels and the Blessed Mother during all Eternity.

Do not refuse, O my Angel, to be my interpreter with God, and to protest to Him that these are my sentiments and my will. Amen.

God bless!
+JMJ+

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!