Friday, January 3, 2020

For the Feast of Epiphany

And entering into the house, they found the child with Mary his mother, and falling down they adored him; and opening their treasures, they offered him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:11).

The Blessed Mother spoke thus to Ven. Mary Agreda, "My daughter, great were the gifts which the Kings offered to my most holy Son; but greater still was the affection with which they offered them and the mystery concealed beneath them. On account of all this they were most acceptable to His Majesty... Thy ceaseless offer, however, must be love, which is the gold; continual prayer, which is the incense; and the patient acceptance of labors and true mortifications, which is the myrrh. All that thou dost for the Lord, thou should offer up to Him with fervent affection and promptitude, without negligence or fear; for negligent works, and those not enlivened by love, are not an acceptable sacrifice in the eyes of His Majesty. In order to make those incessant offerings, it is necessary that Divine faith and light continually inflame thy heart, having before thy eyes the great object of thy praise and exaltation, ..." (Mystical City of God).
+                         +                         +
As the Church commemorates the feast of the Epiphany on January 6, may we heed our Lady's words and remember to always offer ourselves and our entire day to our Blessed Lord, making a gift, an offering of love to Him each morning. One prayer to fulfill this task is the traditional morning offering. Another prayer fitting to be said as a daily prayer is a short, but beautiful prayer written by St. Alphonsus Liguori for the feast of the Epiphany. St. Alphonsus’ prayer makes a loving offering to our Lord on this most glorious feast of Epiphany, which commemorates the manifestation of the glory of Christ.
+
Offering by St. Alphonsus
O Jesus, my Infant King! I also adore Thee, and offer Thee my miserable heart. Accept it and change it. Make it wholly Thine own, so that it may love nothing but Thee. My sweet Saviour, save me, and let my eternal happiness be to love Thee always and without reserve. O Mary, most holy Virgin, I hope for this grace from thee.


"Give me, therefore, I pray Thee, this gold, this incense, and this myrrh. Give me the gold of Thy holy love; give me the spirit of holy prayer, give me the desire and strength to mortify myself in everything that displeases Thee. I am resolved to obey Thee and to love Thee; but Thou knowest my weakness, oh, give me the grace to be faithful to Thee!" — St Alphonsus Liguori

God bless!
+JMJ+

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!