Saturday, May 2, 2020

St. Alphonsus Liguori's Consecration to Mary



St. Louis de Montfort wrote, “Our entire perfection consists in being conformed, united, and consecrated to Jesus Christ. Hence the most perfect of all devotions is undoubtedly that which conforms, unites and consecrates us most perfectly to Jesus Christ.  Now, since Mary is of all creatures the one most conformed to Jesus Christ, it follows that among all devotions that which most consecrates and conforms a soul to our Lord is devotion to Mary, his Holy Mother, and that the more a soul is consecrated to her, the more will it be consecrated to Jesus Christ.”

The custom of dedicating the month of May to the Blessed Virgin Mary began in the 13th century, and by the end of the 1800s, the devotion was universally accepted and encouraged throughout the Church. It is the oldest instance of a devotion extending over an entire month.  During this month it is fitting to consecrate oneself to our Lady, to express our love and devotion to her.  May we always strive to imitate our Blessed Mother, heeding her call to prayer and penance for our souls and for the whole world.

+                              +                              +

Dedication of One's Self to Mary

Most holy Virgin Mary, Mother of God, I., N., although most unworthy to be thy servant, yet moved by thy wonderful compassion and by my desire to serve thee, I now choose thee, in the presence of my Guardian Angel and of the whole Celestial court, for my especial Lady, Advocate and Mother: and I firmly purpose always to love and serve thee for the future and to do whatever I can to induce others to love and serve thee also. I beseech thee, O Mother of God, and my most compassionate and loving Mother, by the Blood which thy Son shed for me, to receive me in the number of thy servants, to be thy child and servant forever. Assist me in all my thoughts, words, and actions in every moment of my life, so that every step I take and every breath that I draw may be directed to the greater glory of my God; and through thy most powerful intercession, may I never more offend my beloved Jesus, but may I glorify Him, and love Him in this life, and love thee, my most beloved and dear Mother, and thus love thee and enjoy thee in Heaven for all eternity. Amen. My Mother Mary, I recommend my soul to thee now and especially at the hour of my death.
--St. Alphonsus Liguori


Lovely Rose, if thou dost deign
Love to lavish still on me,
Grant my heart such love to gain
That it die for love of thee.

My Lady, grant this grace to me
To love thee until death;
And when I die, to call on thee
Still with my latest breath.

My hope art thou, O Mary blest,
Sweet star of life's dark sea;
Ah, guide me safe to port of rest,
And open Heaven to me.
--St.Alphonsus Liguori

God bless!
+JMJ+

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. God bless!